The return of the prodigal kitty

October 19, 2010


This is neither timely nor important, but I want to record it for posterity.  We had a moment of triumph and jubilation here on the Thomas Farm on Friday evening.  A moment I will never forget.

While Caleb and I were back in Minneapolis last weekend, at a high school friend of mine’s wedding, Lena disappeared.  Poor Matt and Whitney turned the house upside down looking for her, not wanting to be the cat sitters who lost the cat.  They called us to let us know, but both Caleb and I figured she would return by the end of the night.  When she hadn’t come back by the time we arrived back in VA, nearly 4 days later, we were worried.  She’s never run away.  For a while we were worried that she had gotten stuck in the HVAC system, since the HVAC guy had come the day she disappeared.  But when we realized our whole heating system would smell like cat pee if that were true, we gave up on that idea.

That began the search.  I called local shelters to ask if she had been brought in, no luck.  I called the microchip company to see if anyone had called her her number, no luck.  Caleb and I made signs, laminated them and hung them all over our small town.  That was actually a funny experience, because I had just started writing for the local paper and they printed a picture of our family with a small story that explained who I was.  As we hung the signs several people said, “Aren’t you the new reporter?  Too bad you lost your cat.”

6 days pass.  We get several calls and tips, and we follow up on each one of them.  One man showed us a cat who he had named “little butt” that was not Lena.  Another woman swore Lena was living in a drain pipe near her house but loved catnip and was afraid of humans.  If you have ever met Lena, you know that’s not her.  A third call said she was under a bridge clear on the other side of the county – unlikely since she’s afraid of water and she would have had to cross a river.

Caleb kept saying horrible things like, “She probably got eaten by a hawk.”  And, “Farm cats aren’t meant to live long.”  We were prepared for the worst, but secretly hoping for the best.

Then, on Friday night at 7 p.m., right after dinner was served, we got a call from a house in a nearby subdivision saying that they thought they had our cat and that she had wandered right up to their door and meowed to be let in that evening.  My hope sprang anew.  This was promising.  Caleb was still ready to go and see another cat that wasn’t ours.  When we drive to the house, we realize from looking at our GPS that it is just a stone’s throw away from our farm.  The family opened the door and sure enough – it was her!  Same small body, crazy eye whiskers, and friendly personality.

I drove home giddy and cooing to Lena as if she were my new born baby.  I was so happy to have her home.  We came home and Matt, Whitney and my Aunt Carolyn and Mike (who were visiting) celebrated with us.  Lena and I spent the rest of the evening cuddling on the couch.  We’re so happy to have her back.  It felt like we had lost one of “us”.


haha—“she probably got eaten by a hawk.” very helpful.
so glad you got your kitty back! yay

abby — October 20, 2010

Praise the Lord, Kill the fatted mouse and put a ring on her finger!

Kathleen Kidwell — October 20, 2010

kristin — where ever did you come up with the title for this? 😉

Meaghan Hallanger — October 20, 2010

And she never wandered away any more? Will there be a sequel? 😉

Sandy — November 5, 2010

Hahahaha!! I’m still laughing about Kathleen’s comment! I’m picturing a rotund varmint sitting on a tiny couch eating cheese puffs with his hand down his shorts saying, “Damnit! The cat’s back?!”

John — November 5, 2010